Friday, September 19, 2008

The Upside-Down Show

Have you ever had the good fortune of watching the Upside Down Show on Noggin? It stars Shane Dundas and David Colllins and it is out of Australia. I love it. I think Hannah enjoys it a little too. It is so funny, in a silly sort of way. They teach a lot of prepositional phrase type stuff- under, over, in, out, on top of, you get the picture. But their real focus is on encouraging the use of imagination. So much of the show is simply these two guys pretending stuff. For example in one episode one of the guys is pretending to play ping pong with his pretend pet. He makes the noises and hand motions as if he is really playing, but even a young child would know that he is pretending. The use of imagination is heavily encouraged. The really great thing is that these guys, who act like two grown men with severe ADHD, are really FUNNY. Kind of like Robin Williams type funny in Mork and Mindy. (Oh my Gosh, did I just date myself?). (Here is an FYI, my favorite movie is PeeWee's Big Adventure, so I like silly things).

Give the show a try. Go with an open mind and you may just enjoy yourself watching it.

No comments: